This page contains links to training materials, fact sheets and websites to help you understand more about the role of law enforcement in HIV prevention and harm reduction.
HIV/AIDS Fact Sheets
- Injecting drug use and HIV
- Sexual transmission of HIV
- Fact sheets – countries
- HIV testing and human rights
- Harm Reduction – from a Conceptual Framework to Practical Experience The Example of Germany *New!
- PowerPoint presentation: Thomas Zosel, Chief Detective & Liaison Officer Frankfurt Police: Model for cooperation between Organisations and Police to drug related problems New!
- Beletsky et al (2011) Police Training to Align Law Enforcement and HIV Prevention: Preliminary Evidence from the Field
- Law Enforcement and HR – Aust – 2002Jonathan P. Caulkins – Carnegie Mellon University, H. John Heinz III School of Public Policy and Management RAND, Drug Policy Research Centre
- International Harm Reduction Association’s 50 best articles on harm reduction, including policing & harm reduction
- Harm reduction & law enforcement: annotated bibliography Excellent resource summarizing relevant articles and publications
- Fact sheet on harm reduction
- Harm reduction explained
- From Coercion to Cohesion: Treating Drug Dependence Through Health Care not Punishment http://www.unodc.org/docs/treatment/Coercion_Ebook.pdf *New!
Australasia, UK, Canada
- Sydney’s Medically Supervised Injecting Room
- NSW Police Service – initiatives and programs
- Law Enforcement & Drugs – Australian Institute of Criminology
- Effect of drug law enforcement on drug market violence: A systematic review 2011 article examined worldwide studies and found that drug prohibition/law enforcement can contribute to high levels of violence, including homicide
- The public health and social impacts of drug market enforcement – a review of the evidence : Canadian article (2005)
PowerPoint presentations (LEAHN’s Alex Zelitchenko)
- Washington AIDS Conference July 2012 *New!*
- Law enforcement and HR in practice
- Instructions for police – HIV prevention
- How to improve law enforcement knowledge about HIV(updated)
- Harm Reduction Definitions
- On the Road to “H”: Narcotic Drugs in Central Asia : By Alisher Latypov *New
- Friendly Policeman Project for HIV prevention in Kyrgyzstan *New!
- The_Cost_Effectiveness_of_Expanding_Harm_Reduction Activities for Injecting Drug Users in Odessa, Ukraine Vickerman et al (2006)
- The impact of an HIV prevention intervention among injecting drug users in Belarus Vickerman & Watts (2002) International Journal of Drug Policy (2002)
- Central Asia Drug Action Programme- CADAP-5
- Harm reduction in Russia
- Third Force article June 2011 *New! An overiew of the the role of narcotics in the Osh tragedy, authored by the coordinator of the Russian LEAHRN website, Alexander Zelitchenko
- FSU Immigrants and Drug Problems June 5 2012
South East Asia
Programs working with police
- Sleeping with the Enemy? Harm reduction and law enforcement in prevention of HIV among and from injecting drug users in Asia
- Report_Police Workshop_August 3_reviewed final Excellent overview of UNAIDS police/public health workshop held in Bangkok, 2009
View presentations from LEAHN’s Dr Nick Thomson*New!
Vietnamese Delegation Presentation 2010: Vietnamese police embark on a study tour of Melbourne to learn more about harm reduction and the role of police in public health
Arresting HIV- Police and Civil Society Partnerships Presentation April 2012, Cambodia
Training material, policy, guidelines
- North Carolina Law Enforcement Guide to Needlestick Prevention and Public Safety *New!
- The California Department of Public Health has some useful resources for law enforcement on needle stick injuries and Needle and Syringe Programs. Click here to download some material
- Excellent training package from Harm Reduction Coalition USA – includes interviews with police, power point presentations, curriculum *New!
- DCAM_Law_Enforcement_Training_Guide (Australia) *New!
- DCAM_Law_Enforcement_Guidance (Australia) *New!
- Needle exchange programs & policing – working together
- Guidelines for addressing police concerns about harm reduction
- Police policies and practices supporting harm reduction
- HR awareness training in Afghanistan New!
- fact sheet Syringe Exchange 11
- Fact Sheet Syringe Exchange
- Public safety and syringe exchange May 2011 *NEW! Fact sheet outlining the benefits of syringe exchange for police
- Risks of the Job – Video Part 1
- Risks of the Job – Video Part 2
View presentations from LEAHN’s Professor Nick Crofts