LEAHN Co-ordinator, Greg Denham, and Country Focal Point for Nepal, Navaraj Dhakal, have delivered a comprehensive training program for police in Mauritius in January 2017.
The training followed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime curriculum over five days.
The 8 modules have been designed to deliver relevant training for LE officials to ensure adequate coverage across the following HIV and AIDS related areas:
- An overview of HIV epidemiology and response
- Occupational health and safety for LE officials in the context of HIV
- An overview of the role of LE officials in public health and the importance of working with key populations
- Risk and vulnerability: policing key affected populations and protecting human rights
- An introduction into drugs, policing and harm reduction
- Part A: An overview of the WHO, UNODC, UNAIDS Comprehensive Package
Part B: An overview of the role of LE officials in drug overdose
- Law enforcement and the use of discretion, drug diversion programmes and the role of an ethical framework
- Creating multi-sectoral partnerships to more effectively work with key populations to enhance the National HIV/AIDS Response
Check out the great photos below of Greg, Navaraj and the police participants.